Associate Professor Melinda Carrington
Associate Professor Melinda Carrington is Centre Director for Primary Care and Prevention at Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research, leading a team with significant clinical and research experience. Melinda also leads a team of Scientific Data Management staff which includes professionals trained in research design and methodology, data programmers, database architects, clinical trial specialists and experienced data technicians.
Melinda specialises in comprehensive risk assessment and nurse-led interventions to prevent cardiovascular disease and diabetes in settings where there is disadvantage, such as regional and remote communities and amongst Indigenous Australians. Melinda is a Future Leader Fellow of the National Heart Foundation and received prior NHMRC Career Development and Early Career Training Fellowships in Public Health to undertake research in cardio-metabolic risk screening in vulnerable communities. Melinda remains an Honorary Fellow at the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute and is also a Visiting Senior Researcher at the Hatter Institute in Cape Town and an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at Monash University.
Melinda has over 80 original research manuscripts including a recent Lancet publication. As CIA, she leads the $1.3 million NHMRC MODERN trial to establish regional nurse-led clinics. She holds other Project Grants in Aboriginal health and chronic heart failure and a CRE to reduce inequality in heart disease. She is actively involved in numerous research studies of chronic disease and Indigenous health (BIRCH). Over the past decade, Melinda has designed, conducted and published national outcome studies in primary care (VIPER-BP, Pressure Points); multi-site, pragmatic RCTs of multidisciplinary interventions (WHICH?, NIL-CHF, Young@Heart, SAFETY) and community surveillance studies (National blood pressure study, Healthy Hearts).
Associate Professor Carrington chairs the Capacity Building Committee of the CRE which will review (interdisciplinary) funding support and training programs as well as provide mentorship of PhD students and postdoctoral research fellows.
Regional heart health
- Carrington, MJ., Clark, RA., Jennings, GL., & Stewart, S. Assessing cardiovascular risk in regional areas: The Healthy Hearts – Beyond City Limits program. BioMed Central - Health Services Research; 2012;12(1):296.
- Carrington, MJ., Jennings, GL., & Stewart, S. Pattern of blood pressure in Australian adults: Results from a National Blood Pressure Screening Day of 13,825 adults. Int J Card. 2010; 145(3), 461-7.
Indigenous heart health
- Carrington, MJ & Grassi, G. The threat of ethnicity for cardiovascular disease risk. J Hyp. 2012;30(2):269-270.
- McGrady, M. Krum, H., Carrington, MJ., Stewart, S., Zeitz, C., Lee, GA., Marwick, TH., Haluska, BA., Brown, AD.Heart failure, Ventricular dysfunction and Risk Factor Prevalence in Australian Aboriginal Peoples: The Heart of the Heart Study. Heart. 2012;98(21):1562-67.
Heart health in low-to-middle income countries
- Sliwa, K., Lyons, J.G., Carrington, MJ., Lecour, S., Marais, A.D., Raal, F.J., & Stewart S. Different lipid profiles according to ethnicity in the 'Heart of Soweto Study' Cohort of de novo presentations of heart disease. Cardiovasc J Afr. 2012;23(7):389-95.
- Stewart, S., Carrington, MJ., Pretorius, S., Ogah, OS., Blauwet, L., Antras-Ferry, J. & Sliwa, K. Elevated risk factors but low burden of heart disease in urban African primary care patients: A fundamental role for primary prevention. Int J Card. 2012; 158(2):205-10.
- Sliwa, K., Carrington, MJ., Becker, A., Thienemann, F., Ntsekhe, M., & Stewart S. Contribution of the human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome epidemic to de novo presentations of heart disease in the Heart of Soweto Study cohort. Eur Heart J. 2012;33(7):866-74.
- Stewart, S., Carrington, MJ., & Sliwa, K. Barriers and challenges for primary and secondary prevention of heart disease in sub-Saharan Africa. S Afr Heart J. 2011; 8(2), 96-102.
- Stewart, S., Carrington, MJ., Pretorius, S., Methusi, P. & Sliwa, K. Standing at the crossroads between new and historically prevalent heart disease: effects of migration and socio-economic factors in the Heart of Soweto cohort study. Eur Heart J. 2011; 32(4), 492-9.
Chronic Heart Disease
- Ball, J., Carrington, MJ., McMurray, JJV. & Stewart S. Atrial Fibrillation: profile and burden of an evolving epidemic in the 21st century. Int J Cardiol. 2013; E-pub ahead of print: 23380698.
- Stewart S, Carrington MJ, Swemmer C, Kurstjens N, Anderson C, Amerena J, Brown AD, Burrell L, de Looze F, Harris M, Hung J, Krum H, Nelson M, Schlaich M, Stocks NP, Jennings, G on behalf of the VIPER-BP Study Investigators. A multicentre, randomised controlled trial of intensive, structured care in achieving individual blood pressure targets in primary care. BMJ. 2012;345:e7156.
- Stewart, S., Carrington, MJ., Marwick, T., Davidson, PM., Macdonald, P., Horowitz, J., Krum, H., Newton, PJ., Reid, C., Chan, YK & Scuffham, PA. Impact of home versus clinic based management of chronic heart failure: the Which Heart failure Intervention is most Cost-effective & consumer friendly in reducing Hospital care (WHICH?) multicentre, randomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;60(14):1239-48.
- Chan, YK., Stewart, S., Calderone, A., Scuffham, PA., Goldstein, S., & Carrington, MJ. Exploring the potential to remain "Young @ Heart": Initial findings of a multi-centre, randomised study of nurse-led, home-based intervention in a hybrid health care system. Int J Card. 2012;154(1):52-8.