Professor Graeme Maguire
Professor Graeme Maguire is Head of the Clinical Research Domain and Associate Director in Aboriginal Health Domain
at Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute. In addition he is a National Health and Medical Research Council Practitioner
Fellow and a practicing specialist physician at Monash Medical Centre. The main focus of his work relates to the health and health care of vulnerable populations including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia, Indigenous populations in other countries and people residing in remote and resource poor settings. His work has a strong focus on heart health and particularly acute rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease, heart failure and cardiovascular risk assessment. This also includes health policy and protocol development and the building of research and health care capacity.
He holds a Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, has a public health qualification from James Cook University and was awarded a PhD by the University of Sydney relating to remote Aboriginal Australian health.
Consistent with the focus of the CRE to Reduce Inequality in Heart Disease, Professor Maguire’s research, policy, education and advocacy efforts have focused on: a) describing the evolving burden of heart disease (including rheumatic heart disease) in developed countries (e.g. Australian prevalence studies and the development of a national online education platform for health care providers) and particularly disadvantaged communities (e.g. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in remote communities); b) determining who is most affected by this evolving burden (in Australia and other Indigenous and vulnerable populations); and c) developing practical and affordable models of prevention and care in response (e.g. management of the Australian national center for rheumatic heart disease (RHD Australia) and national and international policies and protocols for acute rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease screening and care).
His portfolio of health services research, therefore, encompasses whole population cohort studies to multicenter, randomised controlled trials of multidisciplinary interventions.
Professor Maguire is a Chief Investigator with the CRE to Reduce Inequality of Heart Disease. During the CRE’s tenure he has worked with the Executive Management Committee and other Investigators to meet the CRE’s aims and objectives, support the early-to-mid career researchers being funded via the CRE (including supporting a local CRE-supported post-doctoral research fellow), PhD and Masters students (currently three as primary supervisor) and successfully undertake its planned portfolio of research.
- Outcomes after mitral valve surgery for rheumatic heart disease. Russell EA, Walsh WF, Reid CM, Tran LT, Brown A, Bennetts JS, Baker RA, Tam R, Maguire GP. Heart Asia 2017;9:1–7. doi:10.1136/heartasia-2017-010916
- Tuttle C, Reeves M, Zhong Hu T, Keates AK, Brady S, Maguire GP, Stewart S. Pattern and outcome of heart failure-related hospitalization over 5-years in a remote Australian population: a retrospective administrative data cohort of 617 Indigenous and Non-Indigenous cases. Journal of Cardiac Failure 2017 (in press)
- Diplock G, Ward J, Stewart S, Scuffham P, Stewart P, Reeve C, Davidson L, Maguire, GP. The Alice Springs Hospital Readmission Prevention Project (ASHRAPP): A Randomised Control Trial." BMC Health Services Research 2017 (in press).
- Roberts K, Cannon J, Atkinson D, Brown A, Maguire GP, Reményi B, Wheaton G, Geelhoed GA, Carapetis J. Echocardiographic screening for rheumatic heart disease in indigenous Australian children: a cost utility analysis." Journal of the American Heart Association 2017 (in press).
- Russell EA, Reid CM, Walsh WF, Brown A, Maguire GP. Outcome following valve surgery in Australia: development of an enhanced database module. BMC Health Services Research 2017 (in press) (BHSR-D-16-01053R1)
- Russell EA, Baker RA, Bennetts JS, Brown A, Reid CM, Tam R, Tran L, Walsh WF, Maguire GP. The burden and implications of preoperative atrial fibrillation in Australian heart valve surgery patients. International Journal of Cardiology 2017;227C:100-105 DOI information: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.11.070
- Morris NF, Stewart S, Riley MD, Maguire GP. The Indigenous Australian Malnutrition Project: the burden and impact of malnutrition in Aboriginal Australian and Torres Strait Islander hospital inpatients, and validation of a malnutrition screening tool for use in hospitals—study rationale and protocol. SpringerPlus 2016;5(1):1-10 DOI: 10.1186/s40064-016-2943-5
- Chamberlain-Salaun J, Mills J, Kevat PM, Rémond MGW, Maguire GP. Sharing success - understanding barriers and enablers to secondary prophylaxis delivery for rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 2016;16(1):166. doi: 10.1186/s12872-016-0344-x.
- Russell EA, Baker RA, Bennetts JS, Brown A, Reid CM, Tam R, Tran L, Walsh WF, Maguire GP. Case load and valve surgery outcome in Australia. International Journal of Cardiology 2016;221:144-51. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.06.179.
- Woods, C., Usher, K., Kerr, L., Ferns, J., Maguire, G. Barriers and enablers to successful uptake of CPAP treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Journal of Sleep Disorders: Treatment and Care 2016 (in press).
- Ralph AP, Read C, Johnston V, de Dassel JL, Bycroft K, Mitchell A, Bailie RS, Maguire GP, Edwards K, Currie BJ, Kirby A, Carapetis JR. Improving delivery of secondary prophylaxis for rheumatic heart disease in remote Indigenous communities: study protocol for a stepped-wedge randomised trial. Trials 2016, 17:51 doi:10.1186/s13063-016-1166-y
- Roberts KV, Maguire GP, Brown A, Atkinson DN, Remenyi B, Wheaton G, Ilton M, Carapetis J. Rheumatic heart disease in Indigenous children in northern Australia: differences in prevalence and the challenges of screening. Med J Aust 2015;203(5):221.
- Russell EA, Tran L, Baker RA, Bennetts JS, Brown A, Reid CM, Tam R, Walsh WF, Maguire GP. A review of outcome following valve surgery for rheumatic heart disease in Australia. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 2015 Sep 23;15(1):103. doi: 10.1186/s12872-015-0094-1.
- Sushames AJ, Edwards AM, Mein JK, Sinclair KM, Maguire GP. Utility of field-based techniques to assess Indigenous Australians' functional fitness and sedentary time. Public Health 2015;129(12):1656-61.
- Rémond MG, Maguire GP. Response to Godown and Beaton – Handheld echocardiography: a new tool for rheumatic heart disease in the developing world? Transl Pediatr 2015;4(3): 254-5. Letter
- Rémond MG, Maguire GP. Echocardiographic screening for rheumatic heart disease-some answers, but questions remain. Transl Pediatr 2015;4(3):206-9. Editorial
- Rémond M, Atkinson D, White A, Brown A, Carapetis J, Remenyi B, Roberts K, Maguire G. Are Minor Echocardiographic Changes Associated with an Increased Risk of Acute Rheumatic Fever or Progression to Rheumatic Heart Disease? International Journal of Cardiology 2015;198:117-22.
- Rémond MGW, Maguire GP. Echocardiographic screening for rheumatic heart disease: some answers, but questions remain. Translational Pediatrics 2015 (in press) (editorial)
- Rémond MGW, Coyle ME, Mills JE, Maguire GP. Approaches to improving adherence to secondary prophylaxis for rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease: a literature review with a global perspective. Cardiology in Review 2015 (in press)
- Russell EA, Tran L, Baker RA, Bennetts JS, Brown A, Reid CM, Tam R, Walsh WF, Maguire GP. A review of valve surgery for rheumatic heart disease in Australia. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 2014, 14:134http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2261/14/134
- Woods C, Usher K, Maguire GP. Obstructive sleep apnoea in adult Indigenous populations in high income countries: an integrative review. Sleep and Breathing. 2014 (in press)
- Marley JV, Kitaura T, Atkinson D, Metcalf S, Maguire GP, Gray D. Clinical trials in a remote Aboriginal setting: lessons from the BOABS smoking cessation study. BMC Public Health. 2014 (in press)
- Woods C, Usher K, Jesrmann H, Maguire G. Sleep disordered breathing and polysomnography in Australia: trends in provision from 2005 to 2012 and the impact of home-based diagnosis. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine 2014 (in press)
- Dwivedi J, Sutcliffe S, Easterbrook L, Woods C, Maguire GP. Predicting coronary heart disease in remote settings: A prospective, cross-sectional observational study, Heart, Lung and Circulation 2014 (in press)
- Roberts K, Maguire G, Brown A, Atkinson D, Reményi B, Wheaton G, Kelly A, Krishna Kumar R, Su J, Carapetis JR. Echocardiographic screening for rheumatic heart disease in high and low risk Australian children Circulation 2014 (in press)
- Marley JV, Atkinson D, Kitaura T, Nelson C, Gray D, Metcalf S, Maguire GP. The Be Our Ally Beat Smoking (BOABS) study, a randomised controlled trial of an intensive smoking cessation intervention in a remote Aboriginal Australian health care setting. BMC Public Health 2014, 14:32
- Roberts KV, Brown ADH, Maguire GP, Atkinson DN, Carapetis JR. Utility of auscultatory screening for detecting rheumatic heart disease in high-risk children in Australia’s Northern Territory. MJA 2013; 199: 196–199
- Hurune PN, O’Shea JM, Maguire GP, Hewagama SS. Utility of exercise electrocardiography testing for the diagnosis of coronary artery disease in a remote Australian setting. MJA 2013; 199: 201–204
- Ralph AP, Yeo TW, Salome CM, Waramori G, Pontororing GJ, Kenangalem E, Sandjaja, Tjitra E, Lumb R, Maguire G, Price RN, Chatfield MD, Kelly PM, Anstey NM. Impaired pulmonary nitric oxide bioavailability in pulmonary tuberculosis: association with disease severity and delayed mycobacterial clearance with treatment. JID 2013 (in press doi: 10.1093/infdis/jit248)
- Wark EK, Hodder YC, Woods CE, Maguire GP. Patient and health care impact of a pilot rheumatic heart disease screening program. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 2013; 49(4): 297–302
- Rémond MGW, Wark EK, Maguire GP. Screening for rheumatic heart disease in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 2013;49(7):526-31
- Rémond MGW, Severin KL, Hodder Y, Martin J, Nelson C, Atkinson D, Maguire GP. Variability in disease burden and management of rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease in two regions of tropical Australia. Internal Medicine Journal 2013; 43(4): 386-393