Professor Nigel Stocks
Professor Nigel Stocks BSc MBBS MD Dip PH FRACGP FAFPHM MICD is Head of the Discipline of General Practice at the University of Adelaide and Deputy Head of the School of Population Health.
He is currently Chair of the SA/NT Faculty of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) and past Chair of their National Council. He is also a member of their National Awards committee and the RACGP Foundation which seeks to further the aims of the RACGP through grants for research and education. Since 2002 he has been awarded over $4.5 million in NHMRC project grants and other funding as a chief or co-investigator.
His main research interests include cardiovascular, respiratory and mental health with an emphasis on clinical research and health services research, but also examining patient health literacy and risk perception that might explain the ‘treatment gap’.
He currently supervises 7 PhD students, mentors academic GP registrars, teaches medical students and is a part time GP in the Adelaide Hills.
Professor Stocks is a Chief Investigator of the CRE to Reduce Inequality of Heart Disease. Professor Stocks will lead the CRE’s research within the primary care sector as well as Co-Chair the Translational Outcomes Committee dedicated to ensuring that the CRE’s activities are firmly focussed on tackling inequalities in heart disease through new health care policies and programs.
- Stuart KL, Wyld B, Bastiaans K, Stocks NP, Brinkworth G, Mohr P, and Noakes M. A telephone supported cardiovascular lifestyle program (CLIP) for lipid reduction and weight loss in General Practice patients: A randomised controlled pilot trial. Public Health Nutrition 2013; E-Pub ahead of Print: 23452940.
- Ried K, Frank OR, Stocks NP. Aged garlic extract reduces blood pressure in hypertensives: a dose response trial. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013. 67, 64-70.
- Stewart S, Carrington MJ, Swemmer CH, Kurstjens NP, Anderson C, Amerena J, Brown AD, Burrell LM, de Looze FJ, Harris M, Hung J, Krum H, Nelson M, Schlaich M, Stocks NP, Jennings GL. A multicentre, randomised controlled trial of intensive, structured care in achieving individual blood pressure targets in primary care. BMJ 2012 Nov 20;345:e7156. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e7156.
- Williamson M, Cardona-Morrell M, Elliott JD, Reeve JF, Stocks NP, Emery J, Mackson JM , Gunn JM. Prescribing Data in General Practice Demonstration (PDGPD) project - a cluster randomised controlled trial of a quality improvement intervention to achieve better prescribing for chronic heart failure and hypertension. BMC Health Services Research2012, 12:273. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6963-12-273.
- Ried K, Sullivan TR, Fakler P, Frank OR, Stocks NP. Effect of cocoa on blood pressure. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD008893. DOI.
- Stocks NP, Allan J, Frank O, Williams S, Ryan P. Improving attendance for cardiovascular risk assessment in Australian general practice: an RCT of a monetary incentive for patients. BMC Family Practice 2012 13:54.DOI: 10.1186/1471-2296-13-54
- Almeida OP, Pirkis J, Kerse N, Sim M, Flicker L, Snowdon J, Draper B, Byrne G, Goldney R, Lautenschlager NT, Stocks NP, Alfonso H, Pfaff J. Socioeconomic Disadvantage Increases Risk of Prevalent and Persistent Depression in Later Life. Journal of Affective Disorders 2012 doi:10.1016/j.jad.2012.01.021.
- Ried K, Frank O, Stocks NP. Dark chocolate or tomato extract for prehypertension: a randomised controlled trial. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2009 Volume: 9 Issue: 22 Pages: (8 July).
- Allan J, Schattner P, Stocks NP, Ramsay E. Does patient satisfaction of general practice change over a decade? BMC Family Practice 2009, 10:13.
- Gupta R, Stocks NP, Broadbent J. Cardiovascular risk assessment in Australian General Practice. Australian Family Physician 2009 5: 364-368.
- Stocks NP, Ryan P, Allen J, Williams S. K Willson . Gender, socioeconomic status, need or access? Differences in statin prescribing across urban, rural and remote Australia. Australian Journal of Rural Health 2009 17(2): 92-96.
- Jones A, Burgess TA, Farmer EA, Fuller J, Stocks NP, Taylor JE, Waters R. Building Research Capacity: An Exploratory Model of GPs’ Training Needs and Barriers to Research Involvement. Australian Family Physician 2003;32(11):957-960.